MzDavinci

Judy's - "James Joyce Stream of Consciousness"
Random thoughts, ideas, shared memories and happenings.

Getting to know me:
I am blessed with an over active enthusiasm gland and an appreciation of the precious gift of life.

I am trying to break lose of being a hostage "to what I should do."

Do I have the courage to step across the threshold into the exciting world of possibilities?!?


Please buy my new book!

My ta-tas were fine cover
"My ta-tas were fine. I had cancer down there."
Now available from:
Amazon.com
Barnes & Noble


Also available!

Sell More...

Now available from:
Amazon.com
Barnes & Noble
iuniverse.com


Archives

May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002
October 2002
November 2002
December 2002
January 2003
February 2003
March 2003
April 2003
May 2003
June 2003
July 2003
August 2003
September 2003
October 2003
November 2003
January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
February 2005
March 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014




According to www.digits.com



Inspirational people
have visited
my blogspot
since 6/18/02.

Thank you.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

 Saturday, July 13

To Look At Me You Might Never Guess...


It is a rainy Saturday morning here in Florida. I have several errands I need to do before my son and his family arrive. I am excited about seeing them and sharing some fun time together. Being a mom has always been a role I have enjoyed. I not only love my sons, I like them. I admire the men they have become.

Each of us get the opportunity to play various roles as we go through life. Some are obvious - daughter, son, student, wife, husband, mother, father, teacher, the role defined by your job and hobby etc. Other roles you might never guess.

To look at me I doubt from my appearance many people would realize that I am a member of the Samburu Tribe of Kenya.

Africa is a beautiful, mystical place. I hadn't traveled very much beyond the boundaries of North America before I took off on a Safari to see animals in their natural surroundings. Even though I had done research about the destination and knew "facts", I wasn't prepared for what I was to experience. Of course, it was clear as my trip unfolded that Kenya was surprised by me as well (smile).

Being terrified to fly, the thought of flying for over 14 hours was frightening. I tend to try to settle my nerves by approaching the flying experience somewhat like a telephone commercial...I reach out and touch someone. I ask the person I am sitting next to if they would mind if I hold their hand on take off and landings. This has worked well for me. I have only found two situations difficult. Sometimes an old lady will not only hold my hand put simultaneously rub and pat my skin until it is rubbed raw. Secondly, on occassion a man has decided that he should continue to hold my hand long after take off and we are flying safely among the clouds. This has required negotiation for the return of my hostaged hand (smile).

My flight to Africa was definitely an adventure in and of itself, but that is for another time.

I arrived in Nairobi at midnight. After meeting up with the other members of the tour, I remember leaving the airport with our guide Ahmed and going to the bus. The sky was black and sparkling with more stars then I had ever seen before. It is a sight and impression I will always remember.

The other members of the tour were sophisticated travelers who had visited many places in the world. They seemed to take all the new and different things we were seeing in stride. I on the other hand found it impossible to contain my overactive enthusiasm gland. While others would stand up in our vans when they would stop near the animals, I stood up with my head popped through the hole in the roof the whole time. Instead of looking through the viewfinder of a camera - my eyes were etching pictures that would last forever in my memories.

Although I had originally gone to Africa to see the animals, it was the people who fascinated me the most. Everyone was open and friendly.

One morning Ahmed asked us if we would like to visit a tribe. We all agreed that this would be a great addition to our itinerary. We loaded up a van and headed out to a Samburu Village. When we arrived, I was amazed at how happy everyone was. The children were playing, the women were curious about us and the men were standing as if guarding their families from intuders.

During my research prior to the trip I had learned that bartering was popular in Kenya and that the children liked to receive candy. Consequently, I had brought tootsie pops, blow pops and crayons.

Passing out the lollipops made me instantly popular. Imagine experiencing the taste of the hard candy and then the surprise when you discover the chewy chocolate or bubblegum center. I was having such fun. My choice to take crayons wasn't as well thought out. Any paper they had was used in the making of their hut like homes. Ahmed told me I could show them how to use the colorful sticks by drawing on the walls. I did this and soon found I not only had an enthusiastic audience but I also had very smelly hands. As a point of reference, their homes are held together with Dung...Dung is found in abundance thanks to the many elephants that roam the neighborhood.

After a little while, Ahmed said the women of the tribe were going to do a dance in honor of our visit. Each woman had on a beautiful necklace made of rows and rows of beads. The dance was simple. It consisted of jumping up and down and trying to flip the necklace up.

Ahmed asked all the ladies in our tour group if they would like to join in the ceremony.

I was thrilled at the opportunity. The other members of the group chose to stand next to the van instead.

Thanks to God and Mother Nature, I had no problem jumping and flipping the beaded necklace up and down. I was having a wonderful time. Then all at once Ahmed said, "Judy stop."

Needless to say, I stopped.

It seems that one of the Masi Warriors that had come to watch had taken a particular liking to me. According to Ahmed if I jumped and continued to dance I would find myself engaged. Tall, slender with elaborately pierced ears, draped in red material with his head wrapped and topped with beads and a long sharp spear he was tempting but alas a temptation I thought best to pass up (smile).

Ahmed explained to this imposing warrior that I was not wife material. As if being given a second prize, the next thing that I knew I was handed
a baby goat.

If you have never tried to hold a baby goat, let me assure you they wiggle and squirm.

In truth this was an extremely precious gift they had just presented to me. Members of the Samburu Tribe value their cattle so much that they build their homes around the perimeter of the herd to keep them safe from the wild animals.

Obviously, I couldn't take a live goat back to Florida. Once again Ahmed was back to the role of negotiator. Meanwhile, the rest of the tour group were still huddled by the van. Needless to say they were getting a little impatient.

After much conversation, the next thing I knew, I was getting beautiful silver and bronze bracelets placed on my wrists and arms. This was apparently my third prize. Ahmed said that to not accept their generosity would be an insult. They were beautiful and so many of them. Amazingly, as soon as they started to give me the bracelets, the other members of the tour left the security of the van and suddenly wanted to dance and participate.

The Samburu people must have felt their sudden fascination with their customs wasn't genuine as they didn't include them or offer them any of these beautiful handcrafted bracelets.

What happened next is still a happy blur. As the Masi Warriors and the members of the Samburu Tribe took turns talking to me, twisting and turning me, painting my forehead and in general adopting me. When it was all said and done Ahmed announced that I was now a member of the Samburu Tribe.

It was hard to leave these most generous, happy, family oriented, loving people and load back into the van. It was truly an experience I shall never forget. Of all the wonderful, exciting and extraordinary things that happened during my adventure to Africa, this is the most memorable and in some ways forever changed my outlook on life.

To look at me, long blond hair, suntanned skin, bouncy personality, you might never guess - I am a member of the Samuburu Tribe.